How to Care For Sterling Silver
Sterling silver will last for years with some basic upkeep. Follow these steps to keep your silver shining:
- The best way to keep silver shining is to wear your silver. The natural oils in your skin will clean the silver and prevent tarnish.
- Should a surface layer of tarnish appear, you can simply polish this off using an Essential Sterling Silver Polishing Cloth.
- It is best to clean off any surface oil or dirt using warm water and a mild soap. A soft bristled toothbrush can be used to gently buff the jewellery to ensure a thorough clean. All soap products should be thoroughly rinsed off with clean water to avoid any residue being left on the silver. Leave your silver to dry and buff with a soft cloth before storing.
- Silver should be stored away from air to prevent oxidisation when not being worn. We recommend using a small resealable plastic bag for each piece of your silver – not the most glamorous of jewellery storage options but it will certainly keep your silver in the best condition! Individual bagging will also prevent scratching from pieces rubbing against each other.
- We recommend removing jewellery before swimming in chlorinated pools or Jacuzzis.
- It is best to remove your jewellery before showering. Heavily scented soaps can cause silver to discolour.
- Always ensure any perfume or body lotion is fully absorbed by your skin before putting on your jewellery.
- Although there is no issue with sleeping in your silver, we would recommend removing any delicate pieces before getting into bed. Silver is a soft metal and finer pieces could easily break by some tossing and turning.
- We recommend removing your jewellery before exercising. The salt found in your sweat can cause surface corrosion of silver, which can sometimes leave a black mark on your skin.